Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 7, 2016

THE BOLAN CHRONICLES: Reading #40

40. Approximate Minutes Reading (AMR): 2
Introduction to Characters


THE BOLAN CHRONICLES

Chapter 3
A Real Live Policeman

**Part-Time Ending**

Jake had been working one to two days a week at the service station since he’d been hired as a police officer for the city of Bridgeport. It wasn’t long before he realized that this would have to change. Managing required more than a day or two a week, and while working as a police officer hadn’t yet offered him the kind of excitement that he’d anticipated, he had come to the realization that the paper work and various ins and outs of the job were much more time-consuming than he’d anticipated. So he decided to quit the service station job. 
He had always appreciated the intervening concern of Ken throughout his years as his employee—the concern that he had shown over his many hours struggling at two jobs and the tole that it must have taken on he and his family as he had tried to work through the additional academy responsibilities. When Jake had asked Ken if he could minimize his hours after he had been hired, Ken had replied with a simple, ‘Sure thing, Jake.’  And he’d worked out a schedule that suited both. 
In time, Jake had hoped that Ken would have encouraged him to quit the service station job, but that encouragement never came.
One Wednesday morning, as he was punching in for work, Ken pulled up. Small talk ensued, and Jake eventually got to the point. 
“Mr. Cale, I’ve decided that I’ll need to quit work at the station.”
Ken exhaled deeply, “Well, I can’t say that I’m not surprised, Jake. Police work is tough. I’ve wondered how you’ve gone this long without letting go of this little part-time gig.”
“I love this job, Mr. Cale, and I feel pretty badly having to tell you that I’m quitting. but you…”
“There is absolutely no reason to apologize, Jake. I agreed to take you on as manager here with the full understanding that it would eventually and likely soon end. I was willing to accept that.”
Jake looked down and said nothing.
Ken held his hand out. Jake shook it and said, “I can’t tell you how much I…”
“I know, Jake. You’ve been great. And if there is anything that I can do for you in the future—anything at all, don’t hesitate to ask.”
“Yes, sir.”
Ken said, “You just let me know when you need to finish things up here. In the meantime, I’ll start looking for someone to take your position,” And he shook his head and added, “Like that’s actually possible.”

Within two weeks, Jake’s managerial position was filled. His affiliation with Ken Cale as a boss had concluded. It had been a good run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on anything you wish. I am open to suggestions, and of course, I would love to hear about your thoughts on characters, the direction of the story, your guesses regarding outcomes, etc.